Image by/from ChurchCrawler
Timsbury is really a village and civil parish within the Bath and North East Somerset unitary authority from the county of Somerset, 8 miles (13 km) south-west of Bath England. The parish, including the hamlets of Meadgate, Radford and Wall Mead, includes a population of two,624.
The village is known as Timfborough, Tymmersbarue, Timsbarrow (meaning Timbered grove), Timsbyre (wooded hillside) and Temsbury throughout its lengthy history.
Timsbury is a settlement because the Bronze Age. A few of the earliest everything written down show an entry within the Norman Domesday Book of 1086.
“Johnson holds Timsbury in the Bishop of Coutance. Ape held it before 1066. It compensated tax for several hides, land for several ploughs, in lordship, 1 plough, 2 slaves, one and something half hides, 2 villagers and 1 smallholder with 1 plough and something and something half hides, 2 areas of a mill which pays two shillings, field 26 acres. Pasture too, 1 cob, 9 cattle, 14 pigs and 60 sheep, the worth was 26 shillings, now 50 shillings.”
The entry then procedes to describe the Mill at Radford which would be to the south from the village.
The parish was area of the hundred of Chew.
Timsbury House would be a large mansion house of the Samborne family. Built for the finish from the 15th century by Richard Samborne. His successor Barnaby Samborne was knighted for his services to Queen Elizabeth I. Your building was destroyed in 1961, and St. Marys Eco-friendly and Somerset Folly estates now occupy the initial site. One unusual feature from the estate was the existence of a ha-ha (sunken path). It was built to permit the Samborne family privacy in the local occupants because they passed the home.
Pitfour House in high street shops was built-in the mid 17th century. The terrace of homes at Crook Barton goes back close to 1700.
In 1795, the Gooseyard bridge in Timsbury parish was the beginning point for that Somerset Coal Canal which offered the seven coal mines at Amesbury, Mearns, Tyning, Hayeswood, Old Grove, and Lower and upper Conygre, round the village which created a main issue with the Somerset Coalfield. Lower Conygre (Conigre in certain old spellings) was sunk in 1847 as well as in 1896 was merged using the older Upper Congyre this was began in 1791. These were of Samborne Cruz and Company in 1908, after which by Beaumont, Kennedy and Co. The Amesbury pit opened up before 1701 and closed in early 1800s. Hayeswood colliery opened up in 1750 and closed in 1862. Tyning opened up in 1766 adopted by Mearns that was sunk in 1783 and closed in 1824.
The canal was later substituted with a railway line in early 1900s, the truly amazing Western Railway Radford and Timsbury Halt offered the requirements of passengers in the village. The Coal canal introduced success towards the village and many other large houses were built in the region. Renny’s on Love’s Hill, as was its neighbour, Vale House.
Parish’s House around the south eastern side from the village was an 1816 extension of the much earlier house. It’s related to Thomas Baldwin of Bath for Captain Parish R.N., is fronted by a luxuriant balustrade, and features a stable block in the same date.
Greenhill House seemed to be built in early 1800s. Initially of St Johns Hospital in Bath, it’s undergone both your hands of numerous institutions during its history. It had been eventually purchased through the charitable organization initially referred to as Cheshire Foundation Homes for that Sick, in 1976 it grew to become the Leonard Cheshire Foundation. In This summer 2007 it altered to the current name, Leonard Cheshire Disability.
In 1978, the main from the village, centred round the Square and high street shops, was designated a conservation area, that is now considered “in danger”. A lot of its structures built in the local White-colored Lias stone within the 1700s are actually protected against inappropriate development.
The Miners Memorial Garden, near to the Square, marks the village’s lengthy connection to coal mining. It had been in built-in 1995 to mark the centenary of the subterranean explosion at Upper Conygre pit in 1895, which claimed the lives of seven miners and 4 horses.
Since 1894, the parish council has responsibility for local issues, including setting a yearly principle (local rate) to pay for the council’s operating costs and producing annual makes up about public scrutiny. The parish council evaluates local planning applications and works together with the neighborhood police, district council officials, and neighbourhood watch groups on matters of crime, security, and traffic. The parish council’s role includes initiating projects for that repair and maintenance of parish facilities, like the village hall or community center, playing fields and playgrounds, community library, in addition to talking to using the district council around the maintenance, repair, and improvement of highways, drainage, footpaths, trains and buses, and street cleaning. Conservation matters (including trees and listed structures) and ecological issues will also be of great interest towards the council.
The parish falls inside the unitary authority of Bath and North East Somerset that was produced in 1996, as established through the Municipality Act 1992. It possesses a single tier of municipality with responsibility for most municipality functions within its area including local planning and building control, local roads, council housing, ecological health, markets and fairs, refuse collection, recycling, cemeteries, crematoria, leisure services, parks, and tourism. They’re also accountable for education, social services, libraries, primary roads, trains and buses, Buying and selling Standards, waste disposal and proper planning, although fire, police and ambulance services are supplied jointly along with other government bodies with the Avon Fire and Save Service, Avon and Somerset Constabulary and also the Great Western Ambulance Service.
Bath and North East Somerset’s area covers area of the ceremonial county of Somerset but it’s administered individually from the non-metropolitan county. Its administrative headquarters is within Bath. Between 1 April 1974 and 1 April 1996, it had been the Wansdyke district and also the Town of Bath from the county of Avon. Before 1974 the parish was area of the Clutton Rural District.
The village has one electoral ward with similar area and population because the parish.
The parish is symbolized in the home of Commons from the Parliament from the Uk included in North East Somerset. It elects one Person in Parliament (MP) through the first beyond the publish system of election.
The village is situated on the plateau 500 ft (150 m) above ocean level within the north east of Somerset. Towards the south may be the northern fringe of the Mendip Hillsides, towards the north is Marksbury plain. Bordered by two water courses, towards the north through the Conygre Brook, and towards the south through the Cam Brook. Local landmarks towards the north west range from the Sleight, a little escarpment rising to 645 ft (197 m) for any distance of .89 miles (1.43 km) within an east westerly direction. This ridge leads the B3130 towards the west of Timsbury beyond the Hayeswood Road Industrial Estate for connecting using the A39. Towards the east is Tunley hill which increases to some height of 550 ft (170 m), this is actually the easterly path to Bath through the B3130.
There’s some remaining managed woodland from our area, but nothing beats the quantity there is previously once the village was handed its name of Timsbyre (wooded hillside). Nederlander elm disease and using wood for building construction, fuel and products have denuded a lot of the neighborhood section of its trees.
The neighborhood underlying stone is from the Triassic period, referred to as White-colored Lias limestone. It’s near to the surface around the southern slopes from the village, and has been utilized extensively for building purposes for years and years. A lot of it has gone through slight metamorphic transformation and it has become quite hardened. This factor is apparent in most of the older structures in which the softer layer stone has more readily eroded in places. There’s a good amount of freestone (boulders stone) in most of the local fields, which provides a lot of the walling stone for that local farms.
Combined with the remainder of The West England, Timsbury includes a temperate climate that is generally wetter and milder than the remainder of England. The annual mean temperatures are about 10 °C (50 °F) with periodic and diurnal variations, but because of the modifying aftereffect of the ocean, the number is under in many other areas from the Uk. The month of january may be the very coldest month with mean minimum temperatures between 1 °C (34 °F) and 2 °C (36 °F). This summer and August would be the warmest several weeks in the area with mean daily maxima around 21 °C (70 °F). Generally, December may be the dullest month and June the sunniest. The the west of England enjoys a preferred location, specifically in summer time, once the Azores High extends its influence north-eastwards for the United kingdom.
Cloud frequently forms inland, especially near hillsides, and reduces contact with sunshine. The typical annual sunshine totals around 1600 hrs. Rain fall is commonly connected with Atlantic depressions or with convection. In summer time, convection brought on by solar surface heating sometimes forms shower clouds and the great majority from the annual precipitation falls from showers and thunderstorms at the moment of the year. Average rain fall is about 800-900 mm (31-35 in). 8-15 times of snowfall is normal. November to March possess the greatest mean wind speeds, with June to August getting the lightest. The predominant wind direction comes from the the west.
Timsbury has four places of worship catering for a number of denominations and 2 cemeteries.
The parish Church of St Mary the Virgin was reconstructed in 1826-32 and also the east finish put in 1852 by Mister George Gilbert Scott. It’s been designated by British Heritage like a Grade II* listed building. Within the churchyard are monuments to James Collins, Robert Langford, the Parsons family, two Cruz monuments and something unknown. That old rectory dates from around 1820. South road Methodist Church hall hosts various local groups such as the Timsbury Ladies Choir. Tabor Free Methodist Church occupies an excellent building of local stone on North Road. Its records reveal that the stained glass home windows, the pews and also the entrance screens were made and designed inside the village. It had been established like a church in 1865. In 1930 the then trustees made the decision against joining the Methodist Union and Tabor remains a totally free church underneath the charge of the neighborhood trustees. The previous Christadelphian church continues to be changed into housing.
The village presently (2010) keeps a pre-school and first school, a village hall and Youth club hall. The Conygre hall can be used for village conferences, shows including antique fairs, flower shows and also the village amateur dramatic society performances, local art group exhibitions and provate occasions. It’s been extended recently and it is other uses include short pad bowling, dance classes as well as the local polling station. There’s additionally a community-run library.
The Conygre hall was built-in 1973 and required its name in the Upper Conygre pit formerly located opposite. Your buck was financed equally by local subscription, and also the generosity of Major B.G.S. Cayzer, who had been the 2nd boy from the Union Castle Shipping Line family and owned Parish’s House. It is situated in an old Miners welfare field purchased for his or her benefit and financed with a levy of the cent per lot of all coal found from our area. You will find facilities for entertainment and sport, including two football pitches, cricket and rugby. There’s two tennis courts along with a well outfitted enclosed children’s play park area.
There’s a social hall for any branch from the British Legion in Newmans Lane,, a YMCA building and something public house, the Seven Stars, on North Road.
Record data (2007) supplied by Bath and North East Somerset local council implies that Timsbury, (area 90 within the data), has excellent use of local Authority services, has a healthy body care facilities, a lesser than average crime rate and good ecological living standards. Timsbury features its own pharmacy in high street shops and doctors’ surgery in St Marys Close.
Media associated with Timsbury, Somerset at Wikimedia Commons