Image by/from Jpbowen

Pullens Lane (a.k.a. Pullen’s Lane) is within Headington, east Oxford, England. It’s located towards the top of Headington Hill, leading north off Headington Route to Jack Straw’s Lane and Harberton Mead. The cul-de-sac Pullens Field (a.k.a. Pullen’s Field, named in 1972) leads off west from Pullens Lane.

The lane was named following the Rev. Josiah Pullen (1631-1714), vicar of St Peter-in-the-East in central Oxford (where he’s hidden) and Vice-President of Magdalen Hall. He accustomed to walk in this region to the peak of Headington Hill and admire the vista of Oxford. He grown an elm tree within the locality within 1680. The tree grew to become referred to as Joe Pullen’s tree, but was destroyed with a fire on 13 October 1909. There’s a tablet within the wall of Davenport House here recording the big event around the east side from the lane. The street was named Pullen’s Lane in 1930.

Pullens Lane includes numerous notable structures, especially through the Victorian architect

Harry Wilkinson Moore (1850-1915). Structures by Wilkinson include:

Other structures include:

Rye St Antony School, founded in 1930, is situated in Pullens Lane. It began in central Oxford and gone to live in a 12-acre (49,000 m2) site around the east side of Pullens Lane in 1939.

Plater College moved from makeshift facilities at Boars Hill south of Oxford to a different purpose-built residential college on Pullens Lane, after demolishing Fairfield (formerly referred to as Pullens) throughout the 1970s, underneath the leadership of Frederick Kirwan (1910-2005). The school closed in 2005. The website has become occupied through the EF Worldwide Academy (formerly the EF Worldwide Language School).

The EF Worldwide Language Centres Oxford Campus primary entrance on Pullens Lane.

Entrance to Cotuit Hall, a part of EF Academy, also on Pullens Lane.

View with the primary gate from the Vines on Pullens Lane.

King House at Rye St Antony School, off Pullens Lane.

Coordinates: 51°45′32″N 1°13′37″W / 51.75889°N 1.22694°W / 51.75889 -1.22694