Image by/from Gilles Jodelet de La Boissière
The Theatre du Palais-Royal (or Salle du Palais-Royal) around the rue Saint-Honore in Paris would be a theatre within the east wing from the Palais-Royal, which opened up on 14 The month of january 1641 having a performance of Jean Desmarets’ tragicomedy Mirame. The theatre was utilized through the troupe of Moliere from 1660 to 1673 so that as an opera house through the Academie Royale de Musique from 1673 to 1763, if this was destroyed by fire. It had been reconstructed and reopened in 1770, however was destroyed by fire in 1781 and never reconstructed.
The Palais-Royal was initially referred to as Palais-Cardinal, because it was built-in the 1630s because the principal residence of Cardinal Richelieu. In 1637 Richelieu requested his architect Jacques Le Mercier to start focus on the theatre, which opened up in 1641 and it was initially referred to as Great Hall from the Palais-Cardinal. Upon Richelieu’s dying in 1642, he left the home to King Louis XIII, also it grew to become referred to as Palais-Royal, even though the name Palais-Cardinal sometimes still ongoing for use.
The troupe of Moliere and also the troop from the Italians placed on the shows here between 1660 and 1673. Moliere’s noticably plays were performed here, including L’Ecole plusieurs femmes (first performed 26 December 1662), Tartuffe (12 May 1664), Dom Juan (15 Feb 1665), Le Misanthrope (4 June 1666), L’Avare (9 September 1668), Le Bourgeois gentilhomme (23 November 1670), and Le malade imaginaire (10 Feb 1673).
Around the dying of his old collaborator, Lully ejected Moliere’s troupe to a different home in the Hotel de Guenegaud and re-used the theatre because the opera house from the Academie royale de Musique (the specific Paris Opera at that time). Lully had much building work done onto it to be able to allow installing new stage machinery created by Carlo Vigarani, able to support the imposing teams of the operas he’d later placed on here. This replaced that old machinery created by Giacomo Torelli in 1645. After Vigarani’s modifications the theatre were built with a total capacity of approximately 1,270 spectators: a parterre for 600 standing, amphitheatre seating for 120, and boxes with balconies accommodating another 550. Happens was 9.4 meters across and 17 meters deep, with space in-front for that orchestra 7.6 meters across and three meters deep.
A number of Lully’s operas (tragedies en musique) were premiered in the Palais-Royal, including Alceste (19 The month of january 1674), Amadis (18 The month of january 1684), and Armide (15 Feb 1686). Within the 1700s a lot of Rameau’s works were first performed here, including Hippolyte et Aricie (1 October 1733), L’ensemble des Indes galantes (23 August 1735), Castor et Pollux (24 October 1737), Dardanus (19 November 1739), and Zoroastre (5 December 1749).
The Opera’s first theatre was destroyed by fire on 6 April 1763.
The Town of Paris, that was accountable for the opera house, made the decision to construct a brand new theatre on the site slightly further towards the east (in which the rue de Valois is situated today). Meanwhile the organization performed within the Salle plusieurs Machines within the Tuileries Palace, that was first reduced to some size more appropriate for opera through the architect Jacques-Germain Soufflot. The brand new theatre within the Palais-Royal was created by architect Pierre-Louis Moreau Desproux called the first purpose-built opera house in Paris. It’d a capacity in excess of 2,000 spectators.
The brand new theatre opened up on 20 The month of january 1770 having a performance of Rameau’s Zoroastre. It’s especially significant because the theatre where the majority of the French operas of Christoph Willibald Gluck were first performed, including Iphigenie en Aulide (19 April 1774), Orphee et Eurydice (in france they form of Orfeo erectile dysfunction Euridice) (2 August 1774), the revised form of Alceste (23 April 1776), Armide (23 September 1777), Iphigenie en Tauride (18 May 1779), and Echo et Narcisse (24 September 1779). One of many other works premiered listed here are Piccinni’s Atys (22 Feb 1780), Gretry’s Andromaque (6 June 1780), Philidor’s Persee (27 October 1780), and Piccinni’s Iphigenie en Tauride (23 The month of january 1781).
The theatre ongoing for use through the Opera until 8 June 1781, if this too was destroyed by fire. The Theatre en Porte Saint-Martin, much further towards the north around the Boulevard Saint-Martin, was hurriedly built-in two several weeks to replace it all. Meanwhile the opera company performed within the Salle plusieurs Menus-Plaisirs around the rue Bergere.
Facade of Moreau’s opera house
.mw-parser-output .tmulti .thumbinner.mw-parser-output .tmulti .trow.mw-parser-output .tmulti .tsingle.mw-parser-output .tmulti .theaderobvious:bothfont-weight:boldtext-align:centeralign-self:centerbackground-color:transparentwidth:100%.mw-parser-output .tmulti .thumbcaption.mw-parser-output .tmulti .thumbcaption-center.mw-parser-output .tmulti .text-align-left.mw-parser-output .tmulti .text-align-right.mw-parser-output .tmulti .text-align-center@media all and (max-width:720px)products:center.mw-parser-output .tmulti .trow.mw-parser-output .tmulti .tsingle.mw-parser-output .tmulti .thumbcaption