St. Paul’s Protestant Episcopal Church is really a historic Episcopal church found at 122 East Pine Street in Georgetown, Sussex County. The congregation began in 1794 however this brick building was finished in 1844. It had been remodeled in 1881 by McKim Mead and White-colored of recent You are able to City in early Victorian Medieval style. This is among the 38 parish places of worship from the Episcopal Diocese of Delaware, which is on the National Register of Historic Places. Many statesmen from Sussex County are interred within the churchyard, including Caleb R. Layton, Daniel J. Layton, Charles C. Stockley yet others.
The congregation was organized on June 21, 1794 right after the American Revolutionary War, following the Anglican Church was disestablished within the U . s . States and also the Episcopal Church began. The audience acquired a stretch of land on Front and Pine roads, although it never was used and offered in 1806. Even without the a church structure, the Rev. James Wiltbank conducted services infrequently in the courtroom house. In 1804 the congregation acquired the present lot at East Pine and Academy roads. They built a wood-frame structure within the next 2 decades.
In 1805 the Delaware legislature passed an action allowing this vestry to boost $1500 by lottery for the making of the church. New congregations were finding out how to support their parishes. A wood church was built as well as on The month of january 25, 1806, the Rev. Hamilton Bell dedicated it, though it wasn’t complete. The legislature approved another lottery in 1827 to boost $10,000 for the making of an academy along with a Masonic Hall in Georgetown, and for the conclusion of St. Paul’s. This lottery never was held.
In 1843 the frame church was taken off the website and construction of the new brick church started. This structure was finished in 1844 and consecrated on November 19 of the identical year. By 1881 after nearly 4 decades, the church had fallen into relative disrepair. It had been renovated and remodeled in early Victorian Medieval style, through the architectural firm of McKim, Mead, and White-colored of recent You are able to City, distinguished across the country for designing numerous notable places of worship. It’s been maintained in this fashion.
Rev. James C. Kerr showed up in 1885 and installed the church’s first pipe organ. The year after a Sunday School chapel was organized along with a building for this was built within the 1870s. Finally in 1897 the complex was finished with a 29′ by 43′ two-story frame rectory, built on adjacent property by John W. Messick for the sum of the $1500. The Rev. John Warnock was the very first rector to reside in the rectory.
In 1930 U.S. Senator Willard Saulsbury, Junior. bequeathed St. Paul’s funds to commission a stained-glass altar window the job is called “The Te Deum Window,” depicting the belief from the Church as mentioned within the creed-anthem “The Te Deum.” Your window was created by James H. Hogan from the London studios of James Powell & Sons. It had been dedicated Feb 9, 1930 through the bishop.
The Nation’s Register of Historic Places added the church to the list in 1979. Later a fireplace of the unknown origin destroyed the parish hall, Sunday School classrooms and sacristy, although the sanctuary and nave weren’t broken. These parts were subsequently reconstructed in 1990.
The next data generally originates from tombstones within the churchyard, where some dates are unreadable. Missing dates happen to be shown by question marks. In instances where only a few figures are legible, underscores represent the missing number. Titles, positions and the relationship has been incorporated to differentiate individuals with similar or identical names and provide more information.