Image by/from Omassey
Osney or Osney Island (/ˈoʊzni/ an early on spelling from the name is Oseney) is really a riverside community in the western world from the town of Oxford, England. In modern occasions the name is used to some community also referred to as Osney Town astride Botley Road, just west from the city’s primary railway station, with an island encircled through the River Thames, Osney Ditch and the other backwater connecting the Thames to Osney Ditch.
Before the early twentieth century the name was put on the bigger island of Oxford Castle and New Osney (between Castle Mill Stream and also the primary stream from the Thames) which Osney Abbey and Osney Mill were established throughout the Dark Ages. The area plays a small but significant role within the Miller’s Tale in Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales.
The name “Osney” now has wrinkles British, and means either “Osa’s Island” or “island within the Ouse”: Ouzen Ait is really a base form and Ouse is definitely an Old British word for any (large) river. Before the early last century the name was put on the area created by two streams from the River Thames immediately west from the center of Oxford, Castle Mill Stream and also the stream that is the primary funnel from the river. Towards the north the area is bounded with a short funnel between your River Thames and also the Castle Mill Stream, the Sheepwash Funnel, which separates it from Fiddler’s Island.
Osney Abbey began around the south area of the island in 1129, and Rewley Abbey began in northern the area in 1280. Osney Mill started by Osney Abbey around the west side from the island. The lands of both abbeys passed to Christ Church following a Dissolution from the Monasteries in 1538. The area created a part of St. Thomas’s parish.
In 1790 the mill stream feeding Osney Mill around the west side from the island grew to become the primary navigation funnel from the river, when Osney Lock was opened up.
Until the start of the 1800s, just the side from the island east of St Thomas’s Church was created. Within the nineteenth century the area altered considerably. The Truly Amazing Western Railway built its line over the island from north to south in 1850, with new bridges over the Thames in the south finish from the island, and over the Sheepwash Funnel towards the north. A brand new railway station was opened up around the island 2 yrs later. In 1851 the Buckinghamshire Railway opened up its line in the north across Sheepwash Funnel to the Rewley Road station near the GWR station. To accommodate railway workers Osney Town was specified by 1851 by George P. Hester, with an island west of Osney leased by Hester from Christ Church. Within the 1860s New Osney was created around Mill Street, south of Botley Road between your railway and also the river. The Cripley estate, north of Botley Road, was specified by 1878. Osney Graveyard was opened up in 1848 within the south from the island.
The name Osney is today usually put on Osney Town. The majority of Osney’s 200-odd households reside in 1800s terraced cottages built on Hester’s original grid. A minority of structures are under fifty years old, all on Bridge and West Roads, in addition to a couple of considerably bigger houses scattered throughout.
The area is now offering one public house, The Punter. A Functional Men’s Club and Institute Union affiliate, free airline Oxford Democrats Club has premises. Osney belongs to the Oxfordshire County Council ward of Jericho and Osney (as presently named, wards being periodically redefined to prevent malapportionment).
The name Osney is not put on the area which in the past bore the name. Negligence the area east from the railway has become usually known as St Thomas. The name survives around the island in New Osney, Osney Lane, Osney Graveyard, Osney Mill and Osney Marina. Osney Bridge carries the Botley Road (A420) west in the historic Osney island. Osney Lock was built within the river in 1790, between your island then referred to as Osney and also the island now referred to as Osney.
From 1961 a commercial estate, named Osney Mead in 1966, was created on meadowland between Osney and Bulstake Stream, towards the east of Ferry Hinksey Road. The estate was meant to relocate badly sited existing local companies. Organisations based there include publishers Alden Mowbray, Holywell Press, and Oxford Community Church, the final occupying a structure around the estate formerly utilized by Oxford Instruments. Bodleian Libraries and also the Department of Engineering Science, College of Oxford occupy structures in the south-eastern finish of Osney Mead.
Newspaper House was created by Arup Associates with mostly open plan Burolandschaft offices and built 1970-72. It’s the Oxfordshire headquarters of Newsquest which publishes local tabloid newspapers, such as the weekly The Oxford Occasions and also the daily Oxford Mail.