Image by/from Daderot
The Salle Richelieu (French: [sal ʁiʃljo]) may be the principal theatre from the Comedie-Francaise. It is situated in the Palais-Royal within the first arrondissement of Paris and it was initially built in 1786-1790 towards the types of the architect Victor Louis. It seats 862 spectators.
For that auditorium of his earlier theatre, the Grand Theatre de Bordeaux (1773-1780), Victor Louis had combined the traditional semicircle using the ellipse giving a horseshoe plan and devised open balcony boxes, both features that they employed again within the Salle Richelieu (1786-1790), plus his later theatre, the Theatre plusieurs Arts (1791-1793). As initially designed, the auditorium from the Salle Richelieu sitting down around 2,000 spectators. The website for that building am limited, he placed the doorway foyer underneath the auditorium. His design seemed to be innovative for using an iron frame (underneath the roof, the floors and boxes), mainly with regards to fireproofing.
Initially known as the Theatre du Palais-Royal, it was initially occupied through the Theatre plusieurs Varietes-Amusantes, who gave the inaugural performance on 15 May 1790. It grew to become the theatre from the Comedie-Francaise by an action of 14 May 1799, which merged the Varietes-Amusantes using the players in the Theatre en Nation from the Faubourg Saint-Germain. The brand new company gave their first performance on 30 May 1799 as Theatre-Francais en Republique.
The inside from the auditorium was redesigned in 1798 by Jean-Charles-Alexandre Moreau as well as in 1822 by Pierre Fontaine, who reduced the diameter from the balcony posts, which in fact had formerly obstructed the vista for a lot of spectators. The ceiling was repainted by Pierre-Luc-Charles Ciceri in 1840. Additional interior restoration work was transported out by Theodore Charpentier [fr] in 1847 and 1850. The capability in 1857 was 1,350 spectators. In 1858 the ceiling was repainted by Frederick Nolau and Auguste Rube in line with the types of Felix-Frederick Barrias.
From 1860 to 1864, Pierre Prosper Chabrol [fr] transported out extensive modifications from the exterior and interior, along with the growth of your building toward today’s Place Colette. The ceiling was repainted in 1864 by Philippe Chaperon with the help of Frederick Nolau and Auguste Rube. It had been repainted in 1879 by Alexis-Frederick Mazerolle, as well as in 1885, by Guillaume Debuffe. The theatre was destroyed with a fire on 8 March 1900. Just the walls from the facade continued to be standing. The brand new building, as reconstructed underneath the supervision of architects Julien Guadet and Henri Prudent, was inaugurated on 26 December 1900.
The “Fauteuil de Moliere” (armchair of Moliere), where the actor agonized while performing the function of Argan in the last play, Le Malade imaginaire, is on permanent display within the public foyer from the theatre.
The painter Pierre Roussel produced numerous portraits of actors who’ve made an appearance in the theatre. These are available in the corridors and boxes.
Fauteuil de Moliere.
Look at the auditorium and stage in 1790 (as created by Victor Louis)
Theatre in 1821 (as redesigned by Jean-Charles-Alexandre Moreau in 1798)
Theatre in 1822 (after its alteration by Pierre Fontaine)