Rancho Carbonera would be a 2,225-acre (9.00 km2) Mexican land grant in present-day Santa Cruz County, California succumbed 1838 by Governor Juan B. Alvarado to William Buckle (Bocle). The grant was north of present-day Santa Cruz between your San Lorenzo River and Branciforte Creek. The southern portion of Henry Cowell Redwoods Condition Park is inside the Rancho.
The Englishman William Buckle (1803-1859), captain from the whaler “Daniel” in Hawaii, found California in 1823. He moved together with his brother, Samuel Buckle (1795-1872), to Branciforte. He married Maria Antonia Castro. He was naturalized as Jose Guillermo Bocle, but had many aliases – Bocle, Boc, Bocle, Bucle, Thompson, and Mead were a couple of names he used. William Bocle claimed one-half square league Rancho Carbonero in 1838 and built a sawmill there. William and the brother, Samuel, altered their names to Thompson. He was among the people from other countries arrested within the 1840 Graham affair.
Using the cession of California towards the U . s . States following a Mexican-American War, the 1848 Agreement of Guadalupe Hidalgo so long as the land grants could be honored. As needed through the Land Act of 1851, claims for Rancho Carbonera was filed using the Public Land Commission in 1852, and also the grant was patented to William Buckle in 1873.
A boundary conflict between Rancho Carbonera and also the adjoining Rancho Canada del Rincon dentro del Rio San Lorenzo visited the united states Top Court in 1894.
Coordinates: 37°00′00″N 122°01′48″W / 37.000°N 122.030°W / 37.000 -122.030